BlogItemTitle> <$BlogItemTitle$>

Practically Pink

Pink is the perfectly practical way to be.

Friday, December 14, 2007

Frugal Friday: Cold Remedies

Hello all, I'M SICK! And so today I'm going to share with you what I do to help out with the sickies. Although when you are in the middle of the height of the worst of it, it seems nothing will help, that's when I try to sleep. But when I'm awake here is what I've been doing...

1. Steam shower: I get the shower hotter than I can stand it and let the steam take over the bathroom for a minute, then I reduce the heat and hop in - lingering and breathing.

2. Wasabi: Spices tend to unclog the nose (even for a short while). I have Wasabi Almonds that I eat. You can add some spices to your food and it should help.

3. Gargle: My throat is on fire! Gargling with salt water can help as well as some tea with honey. Honey can also be given to your child (tsp only) about 45 mins before bedtime and it will help calm their cough and allow them to sleep a little better through the night (my son is sick too). It can cause them to get a little rambunctious shortly after taking it (as I can attest to), but it will coat their throat and help them get through the night.

4. Mints: I really really don't like cough drops. They are just foul! So how about a peppermint instead?

5. Liquids: Don't forget that when your body is sick you need to keep it hydrated, drink plenty of water (my husband prefers Gingerale when he's sick), tea, soup, eat jello and fruit popsicles

Don't forget to get plenty of rest, your body is working hard to fight off the infection. And as for me...well I'm going to be on the couch all morning resting.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

  • At 5:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Good ideas, but I would like to point out you should never give young children honey due to the risk of contracting botulism.

     
  • At 7:35 PM, Blogger Amanda said…

    As an addendum to what Anonymous said, you shouldn't give honey to children under a year old. After the baby is a year old it should be ok.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home