BlogItemTitle> <$BlogItemTitle$>

Practically Pink

Pink is the perfectly practical way to be.

Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Perfectionistic Behavior


There are times that we get overwhelmed. In fact, it's overwhelming how overwhelmed we can feel. But how much of that do we do to ourselves?

My husband frequently tells me that I put too much pressure on myself. And I know that to be true. If I'm putting too much pressure on myself, maybe I'm doing the same thing to my family.

It's wonderful to have schedules and methods but we need to remain flexible. I'm telling myself this as much as anyone else.

Sometimes I'm just so tired that I have to take a break and then I feel guilty and I torture myself all day long about it. Why should I cause myself to feel guilty for not being a machine?

I've seen a trend where most perfectionistic people have messy or upturned lives and are riddled with anxiety. You'd think it be exactly the opposite. But the "need" for perfection often ends up with nothing getting done because it can't be done perfectly - and then that person is driven to depression. It's happened to those I know, it's happened to me.

Recognizing it is key to turning it around.

Taken from wikipedia: In its pathological form, perfectionism can be very damaging. It can take the form of procrastination when it is used to postpone tasks ("I can't start my project until I know the 'right' way to do it.")

This is how I've felt in the past.

Perfectionism is a risk factor for obsessive-compulsive disorder, eating disorders, and clinical depression. I have dealt with all of these and so has my mother.

We can never be perfect, only one before us has been so.

Has anyone else dealt with this? What practical (not perfect) suggestions would you give for moving away from such behavior?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home