BlogItemTitle> <$BlogItemTitle$>

Practically Pink

Pink is the perfectly practical way to be.

Wednesday, July 13, 2005

Are Children Cherished Today?

My answer to the above question is "no". I do not see that the majority of children in this day and age are cherished as valuable blessings from God.
In a world where it's "okay" to have abortions, let others raise our own children, and yell at, abuse and berate them I cannot see that these gifts are treasured or cherished. When children are taken away from their natural families by Child Protective Services their spirits are broken and this is done by the families that are to love and teach them!

As a woman who aches for children of her own, I can tell you I've not gotten the support I've needed when faced with infertility and the possibility of having foster and adopted children. As I tell people of my plans to be a foster mother soon here are just a few of the responses I get:

Among the groans and sighs and "oh boy's" there is:

I have a 15 year old you can have.
Don't you want to think twice about raising troubled foster kids?
You'll be pulling your hair out and begging to have your day job back soon.
You want more than one? Are you crazy?
Well good luck, it's a thankless, dirty job.
Whew, better you than me!


Now let's view this from my perspective, I have not been able to have children on my own yet that's all my husband and I long for. We greatly anticipate our future as parents but nearly everyone around me is telling me how awful parenting is and that they'd gladly allow me to take their troubled children off their hands. I must say I feel knocked down a few pegs as these naysayers try to steal my excitement.

Now I feel it is my duty to treat any children that come into our household as a most sacred gift. Parenting children does not have to be a "thankless, dirty job" and I will delight if the Lord sees fit to give me many children. I have a bright hope for tomorrow that I cannot let others diminish and I need to instill that bright hope in future generations.

copyright: Amanda Davis
July 13, 2005

3 Comments:

  • At 8:23 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Parenting....the most wonderfully challenging job in the world. Kids to be loved, family to support in all ways. Gotta love it.

     
  • At 9:16 AM, Blogger Amanda said…

    Joel, I know that you have been supportive of us from day one and I am thankful. You guys are of the few.
    You'd be suprised - ALL of those comments I've been getting have been from the Christian community. Yet my family members who are not Christians have been supportive 100%. What is wrong with this picture?

     
  • At 11:03 PM, Blogger Crystal Paine said…

    Yes, what is wrong with out world today??? I'm tired of all these comments on children being a curse rather than a blessing. I absolutely LOVE being a mama! I also know how it is to long for a baby of your own. If you want to talk about it more, feel free to email me, Amanda. I know what it's like. It can be indescribable pain and agony.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home