BlogItemTitle> <$BlogItemTitle$>

Practically Pink

Pink is the perfectly practical way to be.

Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Mother To Many?

This Foster Care business is tough. My husband and I had to take a "test" to see how we scored on parenting issues. Apparently we do not intersect in our parenting styles at all. So that was the first bit of disappointing news. And the next thing the social worker told us was that my husband scored "high" on the parenting issues but I was "only average". Then she proceeded to discuss my answers because I guess she was concerned that I would use corporal punishment on the children. Now, I understand that as a professional parent, I am not able to spank the children. If I had my own children, yes - I would spank them. But I wll not spank children that are not my own - which is what these foster care children would be. Not mine, yes I get it. I almost felt like she was hesitant in allowing me to be a mother. I cannot believe the state has so much say on me being a parent. Isn't it enough that I'm not able to have natural born children? Isn't it enough that I'm volunteering to care for children who are in need of a good home? Apparently not, I have to be scruitinized and talked down to because my "test" answers were too middle of the road.
Then I was asked if I was flexible. Yes I am but I do prefer to be on a schedule and I believe children do better on a schedule as well. But perhaps Social Services would not like me to have a schedule

I have something else to say about me being a foster parent, I'll save that post for tomorrow.

1 Comments:

  • At 10:18 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Parenthood is hard. And being the son of a social worker, it's even harder.

    The reality is that no one really knows what good parents are, until they become one.

    I think I'm fair at it, and Michelle is wonderful at it. She tends to think the opposite.

    If my parents had any say on it, I would expect my dad to say were good, and my mom would say that we would need to seek counseling.

    Spanking, in the correct context should be allowed. We personally use it as a last resort. So far, we've hadn't the opportunity (thank God) to spank our son. But the line would have to be drawn somewhere in regards to discipline. To this extent, Michelle and I agree.

    Social workers are required to expect the worse from people, and to look for any opportunity that the child may be harmed in any way.

    It's a thankless job....but so is motherhood.

    You and Josh will be a blessed couple. We think that you'll be good parents.

    Blessings....I'm fried.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home